Thursday, May 13, 2010

Shredded Chicken and Tomatillo Tacos with Queso Fresco

Tonight I worked with tomatillos for the very first time.  They are ugly little buggers, and I was a little wary when I was preparing them.  After you remove the papery husk from the tomatillo, it reveals a little green tomato-like veggie.  Their skin felt sticky and tacky so I got a little worried, but decided to press on.  I'm glad I did...this recipe was pretty good.  I threw in an extra serrano pepper (just a small one) and it definitely could have done without.  Those things are HOT!  So next time just one serrano as the recipe states.  This was also my first time eating queso fresco.  It's a mexican cheese that resembles feta, except without the sharpness of feta.  It was good but I think next time I will bring it to room temperature before serving.   It stayed cool on the taco and didn't get melty like I would want.   I think next time I'd throw on some diced tomato and lettuce as well. I missed that fresh layer of the taco.  They were served on corn tortillas, which throws another flavor into the mix.  They are much more flavorful than plain ol' flour tortillas.  Overall I did like this dish a lot and plan to make again!


Recipe from Bobby Flay
Ingredients

  • 6 tomatillos, husked, washed, and grilled until blackened
  • 1 serrano, grilled until blackened
  • Olive oil
  • 1/2 small red onion, coarsely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
  • 8 blue corn tortillas
  • 1 cup crumbled queso fresco

Directions

Preheat the grill to medium. Add the blackened tomatillos and serrano to a small saute pan and briefly saute in a little olive oil on the grates of the grill.
Place the tomatillos, serrano, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and honey in a blender and blend until smooth. Place the tomatillo mixture in a large saute pan and place on the grates of the grill. Bring the mixture to a simmer, add the chicken, and heat through.
Place the tortillas on the grill, and grill for 20 seconds on each side. Spoon the chicken mixture into the tortillas and top with a few tablespoons of queso fresco. Fold the tortillas in half serve immediately.
The tomatillos

Check out the queso fresco chillin with the grilled tortillas!


And the final result.  I served this with an avacado & blackbean salad





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!