Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Corn Casserole

I've decided to try at least one new recipe each week. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or avante garde. Just something that catches my eye and that both Ryan and I will like. I'm also aiming for recipes that don't break the bank!

I was looking through Paula Deen's cookbook and found a recipe for Corn Casserole. I've had this many a time at church potlucks and always enjoy it. It seemed simple and affordable so I gave it a go. Note: This recipe isn't the exact one from the book. I also found similar recipes online and decided to do some tweaking.

Ingredients
1 box Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
1 Can Corn - Drained
1 Can Creamed Corn
1 8 oz Container of Sour Cream
1 Stick of Butter - Melted
1 Egg
1 Tablespoon Sugar


That's it! The instructions on this are really easy. Just add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix until they are all combined. It doesn't take a lot of mixing. Then add the batter to a greased glass baking dish. You can use a 9 x 13 dish, but I opted for a 9 inch deep pie dish because I wanted my casserole to be deeper. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour. Make sure the top is golden brown and that the middle of the casserole is not jiggly. This can sit out on the counter for a while before serving. It's great hot or at room temperature. It tastes like a salty, sweet, buttery, bread/pudding/souffle, with corn. YUM!



Price breakdown
Corn = $1.00 I got buy one get one, so the two cans only cost me a dollar
Jiffy Mix = $0.47
Sour Cream = $1.06
Butter = $0.75
Egg = $0.13
Sugar = $0.01
-------------------
Total = $3.42

You'll get at least six servings out of this, which puts the price at $0.57 per serving. I served this with a roasted chicken and carrots. The whole meal was $10 and could serve at least four people. Pretty good if you ask me!

7 comments:

Leave me some love!